Monday 13 August 2012

Big Booty, o yeah! Big Booty!

Bri here, and I would just like to announce that: I'VE DONE IT! I have officially taught basically every child at Faith CHildren's Home how to Play Big Booty! I hear little Angel singing the beginning to it constantly! "Big booty, big booty big boo-ooty! O Yeah! Big Booty..." Haha I love seeing her sassy little face light up when I catch her singing it and I ask her if she wants to play. She can only make it from number 1 to number 2 then she gets this worried look on her face so we just repeat the beginning again about four times and again when she still can't get passed number two, haha!
But anyways...here's what's been goin on with the gang and I :)

On Friday night after we finished laying down the concrete at Faith CHildren's Home we rested up the rest of the day to prepare for the overnight at church. And let me tell ya...I should've actually slept during the day because the night was rough sailing! First Kaly and Natasha blessed us with some inspiring messages and lessons, we even got to act in Natasha's! Then we worshipped on stage with the worship team, dancing and jumping and praising the Lord. We had a guest Pastor from the big city of Kampala come and he went for about 5 HOURS! Towards the end of the event he began to annoint people in the crowds and that's when things got, well-interesting. I guess it's a pretty powerful and common practice for them that when they're deep in praise and the Holy Spirit is abouts, demons are exercised from people and they fall to the ground with fits and tears. The team and I were nothing short of disturbed because we had never seen anything like this before. We were all very confused and unsettled by everything and are definitely in search of advice on how to go about interpreting the night's ending events. And after that finally died down we were asked to sing some worship songs on Natasha's guitar up on stage, of which we were incredulous of how we would be able to do so after what we just witnessed. But we buckled down and got up there in our half-dead, sleep-deprived state and sang our little croaking hearts out for Jesus.

Saturday was our dear sister Kaly's 21st BIRTHDAY! We celebrated by spending the day shopping for presents for family and friends in Jinja! I spent all my money basically on the coolest and most random things I could find for gifts. While we were there some boys had been following us around asking for money. I knew they were probably bad news and pick pocketers but I felt God tuggin at my heart strings, as he enjoys doing more than I would prefer sometimes, so I stopped and gave them some money and watched to make sure they used it to buy food, then I talked to them and got to know their names: Joel, Sam, Jackson, and Shaggy (like from scooby Doo!). The boys were only about 13 and apparently had no money for school fees so they begged on the streets instead. Joel was quite the show off, flashing his dance moves and sporting some orange shades that were missing a lense, saying he was a fighter and was waiting for the rebels from the North to try and make their way to Jinja so he could show them what's what. Something tells me he would be thinking twice about his "fighting skills" if that event ever came to be, which God forbid it does! But the boys were funny little rascals and it was obvious they were only living the only life that was available to them at  the moment. But later that night, when we arrived back home, Mama Mercy and the girls surprised Kaly with a delicious homemade carrot cake and we sang "Happy Birthday" and celebrated as a family.

Sunday was church and we partook in Holy Communion, which had been the first time for me in a rather long while. Although I'm not qite sure what the "blood" of Jesus consisted of I'm glad I was able to share that precious tradition with my new family here in Uganda. That night we returned to FCH and broke out the glow sticks for a night of revelry, laughter, songs, and many rounds of Big Booty.

Today when we returned to FCH, it was warm with a cool breeze blowing the big white clouds above us lazily across the sky. I played tic tac toe, and a few other games I don't know the names for in chalk on the veranda with the kids. And then I was getting my hair done like Baby Spice from the Spice Girls when I stopped in my mind and thought of just how peaceful it was to be here, in this single moment of time. With the kids I have grown to adore and the beautiful African sky passing by above me, worship music spilling out of the main hall with the breeze and the smell of campfire coming from the kitchen. I think it suddenly hit me how much I'm going to miss them and how hard it will be to say goodbye.
But I hope it's in God's plans for me to return one day and catch up with all my friends here, but for now I'll be happy to play a few more rounds of Big Booty, even if little Angel can't make it passed number 2 still...

No comments:

Post a Comment